WHO AM I?
“SuRoMa” SUstainable ROad MAnagement through Low Cost Techniques
The objective of the PhD research project consists in:
- Developing a low-cost tool being able to ensure the best resources use for road pavement maintenance and rehabilitation. In the past few years, there has been a drastic increase in the use of Image-Based Modelling (IBM) low-cost techniques to create a high metric and visual quality, reality-based 3D models
- The main innovative aspect lies in the use of a simple and low-cost hardware (camera or mobile phone) and software for the distresses identification and therapy
- The other goal is to develop a new metric to evaluate the real pavement condition that does not cover traditional parameters as IRI (International Roughness Index) and Skid Resistance. Rather this metric should directly consider the actual distresses on the pavement by analysing and measuring them with the help of Artificial Intelligence tools as Fuzzy Logic, Neural Network, etc.
Following task are forecasted:
- Review literature on road distresses, photogrammetric survey and use of Structure For Motion software
- Advanced knowledge of camera and drone system
- Data acquisition and analysis on road distresses through 3D modelling software
- Implementation of interactive 3D catalogue for ready-use from the municipality of Palermo (MUNPA)
UNIPA will provide expertise with image-based modelling technique, road engineering, asset management. The partnership with strategic partners will provide:
Dr Laura Inzerillo (The University of Palermo) – firstname.lastname@example.org